Register to vote

To vote, you must register with the Marshall County Clerk, be a United States citizen, and be at least 18 years old by the next general election.

Are you registered to vote in Marshall County? Check your registration status using the Kansas voter registration lookup tool.

Citizenship requirement

Anyone registering to vote in Kansas for the first time is required to provide proof of United States citizenship.

Acceptable proof of citizenship documents include:

  • Birth certificate that verifies U.S. citizenship
  • U.S. passport or pertinent pages of the applicant's U.S. valid or expired passport identifying the applicant and the applicant's passport number.
  • U.S. naturalization documents or the number of the certificate of naturalization. (Please submit a copy of the certificate itself, as submitting just the naturalization number does not satisfy the citizenship requirement, as verifying the number through the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services database, pursuant to 8 U.S.C. § 1373(c), has not been authorized for voter registration purposes).
  • Other documents or methods of proof of U.S. citizenship issued by the federal government pursuant to the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952.
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs card number, tribal treaty card number or tribal enrollment number.
  • Consular report of birth abroad of a citizen of the U.S.
  • Certificate of citizenship issued by the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.
  • Certification of report of birth issued by the U.S. Department of State.
  • Driver's license or nondriver's identification card issued by the Division of Vehicles (or the equivalent governmental agency of another state within the U.S. if the agency indicates on the applicant's driver's license or nondriver's identification card that the person has provided satisfactory proof of U.S. citizenship) (NOTE: The Kansas Driver's License does not qualify.)
  • American Indian card, with KIC classification, issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (Note: This document applies only to a small Texas band of the Kickapoo tribe with slightly more than 50 members.)
  • Final adoption decree showing the applicant's name and U.S. birthplace.
  • U.S. military record of service showing applicant's place of birth in the U.S.
  • Extract from a U.S. hospital record of birth created at the time of the applicant's birth indicating the applicant's place of birth in the U.S.

If you do not provide a copy of your citizenship document by midnight the day before Election Day, you are not eligible to vote.

If you do not provide a copy of your citizenship document within 90 days of submitting your voter registration application, your application will be cancelled and you will be required to submit a new voter registration application.

If your registration has been canceled for whatever reason by any Kansas county, you will be considered a new voter. You must complete a new Kansas voter registration application and provide proof of citizenship, unless your documentation is already on file. Contact our office if you have questions about your eligibility.

If registered before January 1, 2013 and you have remained active, you do not need to show proof of citizenship. Transferring your voter registration between counties without cancelling your voter registration does not require citizenship documentation.

Registrants who fail to present appropriate documentation when they initially register to vote have until midnight the day before an election to submit proof of citizenship and vote in that next election.

Until we receive your documentation, your voter registration will be held in suspense status for 90 days from your initial registration attempt.

Note: If you submitted your proof of citizenship when you updated your driver's license, confirm your voting status with the Election Office. If you have not received your "Certificate of Registration" in the mail, contact the Election Office to confirm your registration status.

The Election Office only needs a copy of your citizenship document; you can mail, fax, or scan/email a copy of your proof of citizenship to our office. Any Kansas government office is required to provide a free photocopy of your documentation for submission to our office.

Check your voter registration prior to Election Day with the Kansas Voter Registration Lookup Tool; you can also contact our office if you want to confirm your registration information.

Register online

You can register to vote for the first time or update your current Kansas voter registration information online. To register to vote online, you must have a valid Kansas driver's license or Kansas non-driver's identification card.

You are required to use a legal signature to complete the registration process, and the online registration option uses your driver's license signature to do so.

To register to vote online, please visit the Kansas Online Voter Registration Application.

When you register, you can affiliate with a political party or be unaffiliated. During partisan primary elections, unaffiliated voters may choose a political party when voting.

Register by paper

If you do not have Kansas identification, you may register to vote using a Kansas Voter Registration Application (PDF) and submit it to the Marshall County Clerk's office.

Marshall County Clerk
1201 Broadway Street, Suite 2
P.O. Box 391
Marysville, KS 66508

When you register, you can affiliate with a political party or be unaffiliated. During partisan primary elections, unaffiliated voters may choose a political party when voting.

Update your registration

You must re-register each time you change your name, address, or party affiliation for voting. If the Marshall County Clerk's office has your outdated voter information, you may be asked to vote provisionally at the next election.

Keep voting simple for you by keeping your registration information current.